Expectations and Perspectives!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RMulhern

Expectations and Perspectives!

Post by RMulhern »

When I was 20 years old....I had 3 ambitions aka:

1. Make love to Marilyn Monroe

2. Fly an F-86 jet fighter

3. Hunt in Africa

RESULTS:

1. Marilyn died on me!

2. Elected not to attend college...so the jets were out! Flew Ag Planes instead!

3. Africa became too expensive!

PERSPECTIVES:

When all the elk and mulies have been eliminated from Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana......I'll quit!!

Those things that seem important at 20......ain't important at 40...and what seems important at 40....is no longer important at 60!! :shock: :shock:
Kodiak

Oh yeah ...

Post by Kodiak »

And at 70 even some of those aren't all that important anymore. Although, I still get into the 10,000' stuff in CO for an ocassional elk hunt, it's not as important as it used to be. My high-priority things these days include working on even smaller groups from my BPCRs, spending more time with the gran'kids at the range, working on loads for my new highwall, going to a BP shoot near home a couple of times a year, and of course spending some quality time with the wife. Four of 5 of my old hunting buddies are gone now, and finding old guys to hang-out with is not easy.

So spend your time wisely, with old shootin' buddies, gran'kids (if you got any) and the little woman (if ya got one) and enjoy the time that we have been alloted with while we're here. That's my plan,
I don't always shoot well, but when I do there isn't any reason.
Brant Selb

Re: Expectations and Perspectives!

Post by Brant Selb »

[quote="Sharpsman"]When I was 20 years old....I had 3 ambitions aka:

1. Make love to Marilyn Monroe

2. Fly an F-86 jet fighter

3. Hunt in Africa

RESULTS:

1. Marilyn died on me!

2. Elected not to attend college...so the jets were out! Flew Ag Planes instead!

3. Africa became too expensive!

PERSPECTIVES:

When all the elk and mulies have been eliminated from Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana......I'll quit!!

Those things that seem important at 20......ain't important at 40...and what seems important at 40....is no longer important at 60!! :shock: :shock:[/quote]

Sharpsman,

I wouldn't trade a dozen Marilyn Monroes for the woman who threw her lot in with mine! :D

I never flew a f86, but I have spent some time in a Cessna 210! :D

I have hunted the hell out of Africa!! :D :D

What does all this mean? Not a damn thing!! If I had spent my African money on Microsoft stock, I could have retired a hundred times over. The fact is, I wouldn't trade my life's experiences for all the money in the world. The simple reality of life is; it is what it is, I spent fathers day telling my dad his daughter had passed away that morning. It puts group size, sights, powder selection, hunting, barrel weight and everything else into a perspective that is pretty difficult to worry about when compared to our wives, children, and family and what they mean to us on a daily basis.
A last wish; Go give your family a big hug!!

Oh Yeah, I did stay at a Holiday Inn express!

Brant
:D
Just hit the next one!
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

I like flying in float planes and Super Cubs but don't fly them.
I'm more the Rachel Welch type than the MM type.
BUT.....
Every time someone whines that Africa is too expensive I just about hurl! You want some Wisconsin cheese with that whine?
You can go to Africa and hunt 10 species of plains game for less that a decent mule deer hunt these days. If you are willing to take some management game in RSA or Namibia you can have even more fun in 2 weeks.
If you gotta shoot Big 5 to say you were in Africa then you must think you have to shoot a Kodiak bear to say you hunt in the USA.
If you dont have dreams why get up in the morning??? I refuse to quit at 60 or 70 even with one bad wheel. Anyone who can manage to buy a Shiloh can swing the scratch for a nice hunt in Africa.
That's my story and I am sticking too it.
Long Knife

Post by Long Knife »

It seems like the folks I have talked to spent about 2 rifles worth to hunt in "the dark continent" and saw and shot more game (general) than they would have in a dozen 7K hunts in the US. I also like the idea of being able to bring in "camp meat" which most folks are very reluctent to do in the US for fear of the "man". Hell, if you do not have the "required permit" you cannot even be in the "kings forrest" without risk of a ticket--- just go ask them leftover hippies about camping in the forrest (aka Rainbow folks in Steamboat area). Africa still is about as "free" for the hunter as it was back in the days of Teddy in this country. I hope to go one day before they turn it into a UN Theme Park.

Long Knife
"Shoots today, Kills tomorrow"
The Green River Scalping and Joy Society
Brant Selb

Post by Brant Selb »

[quote="Long Knife"]It seems like the folks I have talked to spent about 2 rifles worth to hunt in "the dark continent" and saw and shot more game (general) than they would have in a dozen 7K hunts in the US. I also like the idea of being able to bring in "camp meat" which most folks are very reluctent to do in the US for fear of the "man". Hell, if you do not have the "required permit" you cannot even be in the "kings forrest" without risk of a ticket--- just go ask them leftover hippies about camping in the forrest (aka Rainbow folks in Steamboat area). Africa still is about as "free" for the hunter as it was back in the days of Teddy in this country. I hope to go one day before they turn it into a UN Theme Park.

Long Knife[/quote]

To a certain extent, hunting in Africa is much more controlled than here in the states. To hunt in Africa, you will either be on a private ranch, tribal lands, or a concession owned by the Gov't. and leased by a safari operator. You will always be hunting with a guide or a PH and you will be restricted as to what, when, and how many animals you may take whether it be for the trophy or the pot. Any hunting or firearms use outside of the above parameters and you would be best advised to have your final affairs taken care of before leaving on your trip because the chances of your return will be slim and none.

It is a fact that a person can hunt, see, and take game for less than the cost of a guided elk hunt in our western states. It is also a fact that you can spend a hundred grand on a full bag safari into the Selous area of Tanzania. My recomendation? GO FOR IT!! If you have the desire, beg, borrow, or steal the money, it will be the best recreational dollars you will ever spend. Don't wait, we cannot predict our futures but we can predict Africa's and the outlook is not pretty. My guess is that there is no more than a five year window to hunt Africa as we now know it and probably less. The world is now full of very wealthy hunters from all nations who want to hunt Africa, The Africa I experienced only fifteen years ago is fast disappearing and the only hunting in the very near future will be for those who can afford the big bucks. Hunting is still available to the average man who is willing to save for the hunt of a lifetime, just don't save for to long because the opportunity will be lost.

Brant
Just hit the next one!
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

[quote="Old Doe Shooter"]I like flying in float planes and Super Cubs but don't fly them.
I'm more the Rachel Welch type than the MM type.
BUT.....
Every time someone whines that Africa is too expensive I just about hurl! You want some Wisconsin cheese with that whine?
You can go to Africa and hunt 10 species of plains game for less that a decent mule deer hunt these days. If you are willing to take some management game in RSA or Namibia you can have even more fun in 2 weeks.
If you gotta shoot Big 5 to say you were in Africa then you must think you have to shoot a Kodiak bear to say you hunt in the USA.
If you dont have dreams why get up in the morning??? I refuse to quit at 60 or 70 even with one bad wheel. Anyone who can manage to buy a Shiloh can swing the scratch for a nice hunt in Africa.
That's my story and I am sticking too it.[/quote]

ODS

I don't know just where you're hunting mulies.....but I find it A STRETCH as to hunting in Africa for as cheap as I can go bang a good mulie....at least where I hunt and I don't go to shoot the little guys so it's a darn good area and I have the photos to back that statement up! Fuel/license/tags is all it cost me as the lodging is cheap, cheap! When you're figuring that hunt to Africa.....the plane fare there and back is probably gonna make me two mulie hunts plus...matter of fact! I've read the brochures, noted the air fares.. :shock: :shock: ..and this was BEFORE :cry: :cry: fuel went up!
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

Sharpsman

I went to the Wings over Pittsburgh Air Show this past week end and look what I found .... another Irishman that loves to fly stick and rudder!

His name is Sean Tucker .... click here to see more .....

http://www.oracle.com/cluboracle/teamoracle/index.html

Rick if you ever get a chance to see him perform make sure you do .... I cannot put here with words what a spectacular show he put on. You just have to see Him and his show for yourself.

I have been to many air shows but this whole show was the best by far I have ever attended.

Scratch another one up for the Home Team!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

[quote="Capt. Call"]Sharpsman

I went to the Wings over Pittsburgh Air Show this past week end and look what I found .... another Irishman that loves to fly stick and rudder!

His name is Sean Tucker .... click here to see more .....

http://www.oracle.com/cluboracle/teamoracle/index.html

Rick if you ever get a chance to see him perform make sure you do .... I cannot put here with words what a spectacular show he put on. You just have to see Him and his show for yourself.

I have been to many air shows but this whole show was the best by far I have ever attended.

Scratch another one up for the Home Team![/quote]

Capt. Call

I owned a T6 North American once upon a time....and it was a dream to fly and I did lots of "stuff" in it but those days are finished! Got that all out of my system....long ago! I've known some of the best aerobatic pilots around and a few aren't here any longer! Either they messed up....or something broke which airplanes are subject to doing on occasion! There are 5 things a man never masters in this world; horses, speedboats, motorcycles, airplanes....and women! When you think you've got them mastered....you're about to be thrown a wide breaking curveball! I watched a Doc from Baton Rouge attempt 4 snap rolls one day on takeoff in a Pitts Special and he busted his arse bigtime! He'd seen my friend Ben Morphew do this at the Monroe Regional Airport during an airshow and he THOUGHT he was good enough to do it too! Well...in the final analysis.....he ran out of altitude, airspeed, and brains all at the same time! I think some of these guys have a death wish! If they keep pushing.....that's just what they'll get!! :( :roll: :(
Old Doe Shooter

Sharpsman,
Why not just say you no longer WANT TO go to Africa rather than limping in on the lame "too expensive" excuse. You travel all over for BPCR shoots, air shows, owned airplanes, and, apparently, do-it-yourself mule deer hunts but you find 4-6G's WAY OUT OF THE QUESTION to go to Africa. There are countless 5G quality deer hunts, whitetails and mule deer. Just browse any quality agent's or outfitter's web site. And it's not uncommon to find whitetail hunts over 7 G's in "way down south" places like Texas. I'm not talking high-fenced but big-ranch free-range hunts.
You either don't know what you are talking about or have no desire to go. Just be honest I'd believe you and respect it. You really don't want to hunt Africa. For some reason you seem to feel a need to rationalize your lack of desire as a financial burden. "I thinkest thou protest too much."
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

Old Doe Shooter wrote:Sharpsman,
Why not just say you no longer WANT TO go to Africa rather than limping in on the lame "too expensive" excuse. You travel all over for BPCR shoots, air shows, owned airplanes, and, apparently, do-it-yourself mule deer hunts but you find 4-6G's WAY OUT OF THE QUESTION to go to Africa. There are countless 5G quality deer hunts, whitetails and mule deer. Just browse any quality agent's or outfitter's web site. And it's not uncommon to find whitetail hunts over 7 G's in "way down south" places like Texas. I'm not talking high-fenced but big-ranch free-range hunts.
You either don't know what you are talking about or have no desire to go. Just be honest I'd believe you and respect it. You really don't want to hunt Africa. For some reason you seem to feel a need to rationalize your lack of desire as a financial burden. "I thinkest thou protest too much."
ODS

Financial burden? Nope....not hardly! Rather a matter of common sense IMO! For those folks that want to piss off....5-7 Gs for a whitetail hunt....I'm all for 'em! The guides and outfitters love it! Frankly...I don't give a rip if ya hock ya family jewels......but it'll be a cold day in hell afore I give what they're asking to go shoot thin skinned game in zulu land! I'm quite certain that there's a WITCH DOCTOR over there......that sees ya coming....and he's grinnin from ear to ear knowin he's gonna get his "cut" of the take!! I wouldn't be surprised if ya come back......with a bone through ya nose!!

Go ahead and make ya hunt to Zulu Land. While you're over there with sweat runnin down the crack o ya arse......I'll stay cool and bring another of these home....for half the price you're gonna pay!

Old Doe Shooter

shapsman,
Clearly, you have made my point. You do not want to go to Africa any longer. I'm glad we agree.
However, it's obvious you did not know that the Southern Hemisphere has reverse seasons to the Northern hemisphere, so the best hunting is in the fall and winter there. That would be our spring and summer. Pretty much like fall and winter seasons in the USA. Perhaps not as cold but I've scraped ice more than one day in Africa. It all depends on how far south or north you go. I have been roasted in Alaska in June, Wyoming in October and Texas in November. I have thought I'd freeze solid in the snow in South Africa too.
I just checked the mirror. No bone in my nose yet. Maybe it takes five trips or more to grow. I'll watch that. Thanks for the warning.
Too bad you didn't get to live at least one of three biggest dreams. That's kinda sad. I hope your kids take the money you leave them and go to Africa to live out your dream for you.
I see you got one. Dandy bull. Good for you.
Have a great day.
RMulhern

Africa Blahs!

Post by RMulhern »

ODS

Who says I'm in that photo? I've got 4 dandy bulls! That's my friend Dave from Missouri on the right there! He took that bull on a trip we made last year from our hunting area!

Less than 1/2 the cost of dodging the witch doctors of Africa!! :shock: :shock:
hatchet

Post by hatchet »

Nice hunting vehicle. To me, it does not make sense that folks spend 4,000.00 on some of these 4wheelers when all they have to do is get on old CJ for a grand or so. They will have more room and it can double as a go into town and get a keg vehicle.
All gave some, Some gave all.
www.clenzoil.com
DavidKing@clenzoil.com
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Sharpsman, about your perspectives:

1. I'd rather have my Charlotte than 10 marilyns.
2. I've never flown an F86 but I have flown a stinson, a cub, cessna
150, cessna 140, cessna 170 and they have got to be just as much
fun, especailly the cub. I've always wanted to fly a super cub but
never got the chance.
3. I've never hunted in Africa, I guess I've never really wanted to but
I've always wanted to hunt and float and flyfish in Alaska, that one
I'm going to do yet. Maybe we could go together. :D
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter