Anybody planning any interesting hunts for the next year?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm looking forward to the Texas deer season, but am wondering what you guys are planning.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Northwest Montana Whitetail deer in November and Wyoming Bison in December. Both will be with BPCR of course! - Mike
Brent

Post by Brent »

Interesting?

I don't know, but Wyoming mule deer, Nebraska mule deer and misc. whitetails locally.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Brant Selb

Post by Brant Selb »

Scott

I'm going after a "Southern Herd" bison out of Buffalo Gap, Texas in Dec. Supposed to be an interesting hunt, we'll see, I'm looking forward to it! I'll have your buddy, esteemed African hunter, prior bison slayer, and all around "natural born killer" and good guy, the Rdnck as guide and meat packer--should be a fun trip. :D :D ps, he's already worrying about what rifle I'm taking; when I told him my .300 Weatherby, he dang near hung up! :lol:

Brant
Just hit the next one!
rdnck

A hunting we will go--

Post by rdnck »

Man, I don't know. If anyone has the African expertise, it's Brant.

People I have talked to tell me this buffalo hunt is the Real Deal. These buffalo are free ranging over a big chunk of West Texas real estate, and tend to stay in the mesquite a big part of the time. You really do have to slip into range, and it is not uncommon for these animals to attack a man on horseback.

So for me, it is Aoudad and whitetails in South Texas in November if my luck holds, some local hogs to keep the cobwebs at bay in the meantime, buffalo with Brant in December, and in May of 2008 I have booked another Plains Game Safari in South Africa. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
david.bergen

Post by david.bergen »

Hi guys,
You all seems to have great hunting opportunities in the future.
Over here hunting is very limited ...
I am jealous...... maybe one day I can come over the big pond and taste from it myself. :roll:
Great you guys all take the Big rifles to go hunting
You all have a great hunt.
David
Scott Tschirhart

Hell David, we could start an exhange program! My people came from a place not too awfully far from you.......Alsace.

So I wouldn't mind showing a Belgian around!
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Well, Two of my friends and shooting partners and I had our first Turkey hunt this year. Great fun and enjoyment by all....Nice Miriams for each of us.
Bear,starting this Wednesday opening, deer, and bison in October. Nothing fancy, but just being out of the wilds of suburbia makes it fantastic.

Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Hi Scott,
Due to the lack of funds to hunt the exotic lands I will stay home and hunt. There should be some fun times ahead here in Montana. Archery Antelope opens August 15, Elk & Deer Sept 1 and the rifle hunting season opens in Oct and goes till around Dec 1 and then waterfowl is open till around January sometime. So I guess I won't be bored for awhile.
But in the meantime I need to work a load up for my rifle I had the chamber opened from 45 2.1 to 45 2.6 and ordered a new Brooks bullet. It's a 500 grain with a flat point and should work well.
Good luck to all on your up coming season.
Dan
david.bergen

Post by david.bergen »

Hi Scott,
Yes I know the Alsace region. It's 420 km from my home place, approx 3.5 hours drive. It has beautifull nature , friendly people and excellent wines. Back at home it is very crowded , there are living almost 482 people/km².
Mostly the hunting is dove,pheasant,rabbits,ducks then there is deer season. The specimens are a lot smaller then American deer. Belgium is devided in two parts: one Flemish and one French. You also need two separate hunting permit if you want to hunt in both parts. Each hunter has to follow a course and pass two exams. One theoretical and the other one a practical exam.Less then 40% off the people pass the exams for the first time. Off course you have to pay a hefty fee for both off them
As you see hunting is only for those who go through all the trouble.
Then there is still the problem were to hunt. There is no goverment land were everybody can hunt. Most is in private hands and hunters form groups and pay rent for the land they hunt
David
Last edited by david.bergen on Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart

Dan O,

I was in Montanna the second week in June. To me, that is an exotic place!

I do enjoy chasing elk, though I have not been successful with a stick and a string.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Nothing special planned here. Just the basic shirt pocket full of antlerless tags; some mule deer, some any antlerless, and some antlerless WT only. No Moby Buck licenses; got a couple of cardboard boxes of possible knife handles in the garage anyway; don't need any more. The does are a lot better tasting anyway sans the adrenaline/testosterone marinade.

Regards
Kirk Stovall

Post by Kirk Stovall »

Yup, I'm going to Alaska to shoot Griz!

I ain't takin' no Sharps though, I'm going for sport. I will be shooting a 30-378 that shoots a 7" group at 300 yards. MLV has a sharps that will print easily within my group with inches to spare.

Anybody can kill a bear with an accurate gun, it really takes skill to hit something with a rifle that blows clocks of the wall!
PROUD MEMBER #2 OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB!
Scott Tschirhart

Kirk, with a gun like that you need to be careful not to scare that bear to death!
Rickba

Hunt trip

Post by Rickba »

I'm planning a 30 day hunting, camping, and fishing trip to Washington State. I'm going to hike to the heart of the Pasayten Wilderness Area, in the heart of the Okanogan National Forrest. Hunt, fish, and live off the land for a month, and hopefully not to see another person except for my pard's. The only reason I'm taking 1 or 2 people with me is for safety. I haven't found any one to go yet. Any takers? I'm seroius about this trip. I'm still going wether I have any taker or not. Fall of 2008.
Rick
"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit to Earn Enough Money to keep my Taxes Paid".