A non BPCR question

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Gunny:

Thanks for the insight. You are right about the battle field capture of two of these rifles. When my Uncle got them, he had been a P-51 and P-40 Pilot. He flew a number of missions over Iwo Jima while they were taking it. Once they took it they built a makeshift runway on it for supplies etc. He landed his plane there and walked the island with the soldiers that were "cleaning" up the area for holdouts, and to bury the bodies that were all over the place (with Bulldozers). He had with him a camera and took photos of this. I have with these rifles the original photos he took while this was going on. It's a pretty grusome scene. At this time is where he got these two rifles. One is a regular infantry model. (It has the plain sights) The other is a sniper model. (It has real good sights and other upgrades)

The sniper rifle was being shot at them from one of the holdouts. They through a granade at him and knocked him out of a tree where he died. He took this rifle from him. Its got schapnel in the stock. It's really an interesting piece. After he returned, he Deer hunted with it for a few years.

Just before he passed away my Uncle gave these guns and the photos to my Grandfather (A Marine who was a mechanic at North American at the time) Before he died this last year, he gave them to me. They were both really great men, who had a profound influence on me.

It's a shame people who fight now can't bring back items such as these for their family's to have and pass down. These as well as other items really add to one's family history.

Again, thanks for all your input. I look forward to meeting you someday.

I will forward this string to the freind who owns the "Dust Cover" rifle.

If you have anymore information regarding any of this, please feel free to pass it along.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
aka. Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Omak:

Thanks for the information on the Samurai ancestry. That whole culture has always facinated me. Did you take other disiplends other than Kendo? I wanted to take Kendo, but I had messed up my knee and was unable to.

In college I took Tai Kwon Do for one of my P.E. credits. After that, I did study "Pong" (Nunchaku) <----I think this is right. It was great for developing hand eye coordination.

I high school read Shogun and it really opened my eyes culturally. Later, I visited Japan. What a great experiance.

Anyway, enough of my banter.

Thanks again for adding to this string.

Best Regards,

Ty O'Neal
aka Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Omak Cowboy

history 7 Culture

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Tex,
in answer to your question on my experience with the combative arts;

I became interested in the formal education of martial arts somewhere around 1961 or 62 - can't remember exactly when. At the time there were very few schools open to Caucasians and so I had to wait until 1967 the spring of 1967 to begin the formal study of Karate - GoJu Kai, which was a Japanified version of an Okinawian system.

I spent a couple of years with GoJu, but left when I was invited to be the Dai Sempi ( Sr. student - which meant I was given responsibility to teach when the Sensei was too busy or tired) for a private school. It's all been a long long time ago so I don't recall all the exact dates but I do remember the names. I continued with the Shorin (the Okinawian pronunciation for Shao Linn ) and was years later (1980 or 81) invited to a work Ken Penland in LA who was Sr. Student with Keisi Sensei ( 9th Dan Ken Shin Kan). That was the year of my San Dan ( 3rd Dan) certificate.

I guess it was about 1983 that Keisi Sensei retired and Master Kuda took his place. Kuda San and I met for the first time in Riverside, Ca at the base where he awarded me San Dan in his system.

Anyway a few year ago I received 6th and am now recommended for 7th for which I am writing a dissertation on empty hand combat. Matsumora Orthodox (the family system I practice) is not nor ever was a tournament system. It is purely a combative art taken to it's logical conclusion where one does every thing possible to avoid battle, but if this is not possible the alternative is to end it as quickly and as decisively as possible. I don't know of any work like this, at least one written in English, so we will see how it is received.

I did study Kendo briefly and am aquatinted with the top man ( Jeff Marstin ) in the US. Jeff is a really nice fellow. He will never talk about it, but I have personal knowledge of at least one young man whose life he saved by providing the proper roll model, and teaching, of how a real man behaves. This young fellow was headed for real trouble - probably jail and likely a life of crime ending in death. Jeff is in every respect what a Sensei should be.

Now I can't let this pass without telling one more story. I did study Kendo briefly but time and money ended my schooling. I believe it was Mr. Yasui, who I think was a 7th or 8th and about 70 years old, that after warm ups invited me to hit him with a bamboo sword. Now Mr. Yasui was about 5'7" or so and could not be more than 125 pounds. I was about 25 or so, 6' and made of spring steel - that was then not now
:lol: - anyway, here this old man invited me to hit him and I'm thinking no way in hell. I"ll kill him if I hit him even half power. So..how do I get out of this one? Hmm, what if I just rush in, ruffle his hair a bit and he can save face, everybody's happy. Sounded like a plan so that's what I did...except he just stood there, smiling, and said in a very polite voice " You must hit me!" Same plan but I came a little closer to his head - about 1/2 inch. Again, same on his part - a nice smile and "No, Please, you MUST hit me!"

Well we went round and round about two or three more times until it became clear that this fellow was just not going to be satisfied until I tapped him a good one top dead center. Ok, if that's what he wants, that's what he gets. This time I came in very fast and hard with the intent of hitting him but not full power. Maybe 1/3 of what I can do. I ring his bell a bit and we can call it a day. Little guy doesn't move>>Doesn't bilink! Hoo, boy! OK one more time this time it's headace time.

There is a momentarly blind spot as one raises the sword above the head to bring it down and another blind spot of just a bit over one tenth of a second as the sword comes down. I rush in, bring the sword down hard and very fast...when my arms clear my blind spot I look for Mr. Yasui..but he's not there. OH NO! I've hit him too hard, he must be on the floor - gotta be MEDIC #1 time. Just what I need, I"ve wacked a 70 year old....except he's not on the floor. WHERE THE HELL IS HE???

And then I see the tip of a sword a half inch from the jugular vein on the left side of my throat and Mr. Yasui with just the slightest of an "old man shit eating grin" on his face. He looks at me, with a little twinkle in his eyes and says "And now we begin"

Years later I learned this is called "Pounding the nail". Young men tend to be a bit too proud to recieve instruction from their betters and like a nail that is too proud, they need to be flattened just a bit.

I've been the recipient of such on a number of occcasions. It is always an enlightening experience - though ususally rather painful to one's ego.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Omak:

What a great story/experiance. It would make a good movie. You are very lucky to have been associated with that kind of expertise and training. Do you teach at all now?

If you have any kids have they followed in your footsteps? I really enjoyed the training I received. Above the physical fitness and coordination I attained, I also learned focus, dicipline and meditation. All of which I've used ever since then. I don't regret any of it.

Sparing I found to be a lot of fun and very humbling. It was a real bummer when I got injurd.

Thanks for passing that along.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Omak Cowboy

training

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Tex,
I have one son, now nearly 9. Time will tell if he wants to follow on with what I know and teach. We will see. To him, I'm just Dad or Daddy when he wants my attention. My brother, who is the seond highest Danshin in America and teaches at Langly, is just "Uncle Frankie".

As for sparing, remember that this is a mid to late 20th century invention and while it may be fun, it has absolutely nothing to do with real Karate and real life combat. The few old men who are alive think of it as nothing more than a game of tag...and a useless game at that. It teaches bad form, and worse.

If you want to look deeper into what is real, concentrait on the six and eight of diamonds. Think of the patterns there and make use of them. Remember that on the surface, the human body is made up of four weapons systems and a guidence center. Attack it accordingly. But aslso remember that you can work below the surface of the strike zone.

Think of your own defences as layered, much like a US carrier is protected by layer upon layer of weapons systems, each more devastating then the one before. The eight of diamonds is of use here.

Concentrait on kata. Do it slowly and remember that all combat should be over in two moves. The first physical move renders your enemy incapable of further aggression. The next move finishes the engagement at any level you choose.

Remember that one major difference between an old man and a young one is that the old man moves four inches to attack while the young man moves 6 or 8 feet. You can always move 4 inches faster than your enemy can move himself 6 feet.

Keep you feet on the ground and do not do high kicks. Attack his center of mass and understand the 108 points on the human body.

Think of muscles, nerves plexis, organs and joints and make use of the cross over between pain and physical leverage. Understand how to produce organ failure and pay attention to the central nervious system along with the vascular system.

Develope the power necessary to strike deep and powerful blows from one or two inches away.

Cultivate your mind. Read Musashi, Sun Tzu and Nagamini.

If you have questions let me know.
Cheers
just an ol cowpoke
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Omak:

I will have to re-read this several times and do some research to start to fully understand what you just said. However, I am very familiar with, "The Art of War". It is brilliant reading.

I may be asking you some further questions, as I would bet that what you mentioned has many layers to explore.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
dlemaster

Post by dlemaster »

Texas Shooter
Are the mums cancelled in any way, such as Xed out defaced at all?
Perfect mums do add to the value of Japanese rifles.
I don't wish to contradict Gunny but Arisaka 99 rifles have chrome lined bores unless they were made very late in the war. Shooting them will not harm them. Ammo is the problem, only Norma makes commercial ammo and its very expensive about $40.00 for a box of 20. It is easily made from 30-06 but you would need to trim to length, 8mm Mauser is better, just form it and shoot it. I have several of them and shoot them frenquently.
The dust cover on your friends rifle must not be installed correctly, it should open and close with the bolt. Now the Japanese did make a rifle for the Siamese army that looks a lot like an Arisaka but the dust cover on them must be manualy opened and closed, there is a hook located on the right side of the cover, you must pull out on it slightly and pull it back.
It sounds like you have standared issue 99 rifles. Early war rifles would have the dust cover, a monopod mounted on the rear barrel band, and anti-aircraft wings on the rear sight. As the war went on the Japanese began leaving off more and more "goodies" until they made what was called the "Substitute" which was a bare bones rifle with a fixed rear sight and wooden butt plate.
Sniper rifles were always mounted with either a 2X or 4X scope and the bolt handles were turned down to clear the scope for firing.
Arisakas are one of the strongest actions made. There is a 6.5 T-38 in the NRA collection that some guy rechambered to 30-06, he couldn't get the reamer started till he ground down the pilot.
Once he had it rechambered he fired 30 cal. bullets through it and even killed a couple of deer with it. He complained about the stiff recoil and took the rifle to a gunsmith who discovered that he had been pushing 30 cal bullets through a 6.5mm or 25 cal bore!
regards, Dave
" I love a good gun, for it makes a man feel independant and prepared, for either war or peace".
David Crockett 1834
MLV

Post by MLV »

I picked up a 7.7 Arisaka a couple of years ago to go in my WW2 military rifle collection, which I then didn't finish. Anyway it has the mum and anti-aircraft sight, but is minus the monopod and dust cover. Lot's of small dings in the stock but near perfect blue on the metal. I gave $265.00 for it.

As for ammo, while the Norma factory loads are expensive, you can get the unloaded brass from Huntington Die Specialties and load it much more cheaply.